After chatting with several designers who specify Christiana Cabinetry in their projects, I was curious to learn how interested their clients are in purchasing safe and durable products. As a result of these conversations I was prompted to make changes to the “Cabinetry Construction” area of our website. You may review these changes at
I thought it might be of interest to you to discover the criteria that are used to determine how we construct our cabinetry.
The kitchen is the most mechanically involved area of the home and requires a significant investment. Life happens in and around this area so any change or disruption will complicate the normal routine of the house. Outside of normal family life most of the entertaining is done in the kitchen area. Since the early 1970’s the kitchen reflects an individual’s statement of style. Realizing this we have made the following determinations;
We will build our cabinetry with the best materials available.
- The clients that commissioned furniture and cabinetry 35 years ago are still enjoying their pieces today.
We will conduct our business so that we can accommodate any design style.
- While technology is wonderful, we wouldn’t allow it to dictate what we can or can’t build. Sometimes building a custom item can’t be automated and must be completely hand-crafted.
Our cabinetry will be constructed of safe materials
- Most companies will tout that their finishes are “Low HAPS” or “HAPS compliant. The finishes that we use are formaldehyde and isocyanide free.
- We upgraded to this finish because;
- I was concerned for the safety of our employees. All of the finishes that we have ever used have been compliant, knowing some of the chemicals that the finish contains concerned me. Each of our employees are very important and valuable, I couldn’t live with the reality that their health was at risk.
- I am a father and a grandfather, my children and grandchildren are the greatest gift I could ever hope for. Having harmful chemicals in my home as well as yours is not an option.
- Our new finishes are far superior in moisture resistance and wear-ability than the finish that previously used.
- Despite the fact that the Santé’ and Avenir finish materials costs Christiana Cabinetry approximately 110% more that the conversion varnish we had previously used, I am happy with the benefits (noted above) that everyone enjoys. Our new spray equipment that was needed to apply this finish has drastically reduced our finish material waste, thus allowing us to maintain current pricing.
- Christiana Cabinetry was environmentally conscientious long before it was socially acceptable because it’s our way of life….